Saturday, January 17, 2009

Getting a Visa to India - Part 1

Recently, my dad told me he was planning on traveling to New Delhi, India for a conference with the International Association of Historians of Asia. Since that is relatively close to Dubai and hadn’t seen my father in nearly a year I decided to join him for the weekend (although my sisters will say I went just so that I could add another country to my passport).

Getting a tourist visa for India only took me 3 days. The first day I got lost on the way to the consulate office. The second day I found the building that the Indian government’s website said would be the consulate but it wasn’t. The third day after interviewing several Indians I was able to reach the Indian consulate office.

The unmarked sand parking lot next to the Indian consulate is also shared by the consulates of Pakistan, Lebanon, Syria and Jordan – countries that are not noted for having particularly low road fatality rates or rigorous drivers license exams. While waiting in the chaotic battle for a parking spot, my car died. I wiped the sweat pouring off my face after attempting to restart it for the forth time. Being a little frustrated at that moment I left it there with company of the blaring horns, shaking fists and shouted curses.

The security guard at the Indian Consulate compound didn’t appear the least bit bothered that I made all of the alarms go off as I passed through his metal detector. Once inside I went to a room upstairs that said ‘Visas.’ I got in "line" and was informed that I needed a copy of my UAE visa and one more passport photo. Downstairs now, I muscled my way through a mosh pit of bodies and scent of weekly baths to get the copies.

I passed through a maze of different rooms getting signature after signature and stamp after stamp. In one room I was asked, “First time to India?” I almost said no that I had eaten dinner one night in this Indian neighborhood in Dubai but instead I waggled my head yes. Thinking that my head waggle could have offended her I started giving her additional un-needed information.

“I’m going to meet my father there.” …an uncomfortable pause…“He’s in a conference.”…”I’m going to meet him there.”

Busted! She said, “you have ticked the box for tourist visa but you say you are you going to a conference? That is against the rules of the country. If you are going to a conference you have to apply for a conference visa.”

The next 10 minutes were spent hearing a lecture about how it is against the rules of the country to go on the wrong type of visa and what would happen to me if I were caught at a conference.

Finally, I arrived in a room emitting a strong scent of impatience. There were benches filled with people were glaring at a digital electric counter on the wall with a blinking red number 1103; those standing were angrily furrowing their brows at those with seats. My number was 1279.

Once it was finally my turn, I leaned down to asked the customs official through the hole in the plexi-glass if my request for a multiple entry tourist visa was granted. “No,” she said with a powerful smirk, I could go back to the first room request a change. Noticing at how long my nails had grown, I politely declined her suggestion.

1 comment:

Dynamic Duo said...

Hello Jamie and Andrew,

I came across your story as I was doing a google search for "Americans in Dubai". My best friend Jen moved to Dubai from NYC about 4 weeks ago. She is having a very difficult time adjusting, and is still feeling the culture shock.

Any tips you'd be able to share with her? She'll be looking for a job soon, (she was a very successful consultant for the world's biggest plastic surgery company, based in Manhattan). Im certain that everything will change for her for the better once she starts working, but in the interim, if you'd be able to share some advice, I can pass it on to her and eternally grateful to you.

My email address is MStefanops@gmail.com.

Thanks in advance,
Maria